This week I will share with you one very delectable, fulfilling Indian vegetarian recipe which is loved by most. You can have it with rotis, paranthas, or even steamed rice if you wish to. I love this dish because this is soothing; it’s not overtly laden with masalas like other North Indian sides. It leaves a subtle aftertaste and the basic ingredient used here i.e. spinach has several health benefits. So it’s highly advisable to include spinach in your diet. Spinach is high in protein and zinc and low in cholesterol and fat. It helps in diabetes management since it contains antioxidants that prevent oxidative stress induced changes in diabetic patients. Spinach is also helpful in cancer prevention as it contains chlorophyll which is effective in blocking carcinogenic effects of heterocyclic amines. Spinach is also good for asthma prevention, lowering blood pressure, healthy skin and hair. Apart from spinach, try to use fresh cottage cheese so that it is soft and bouncy after it’s cooked. So let’s get straight to the key sections where I list down the ingredients and the cooking method.
Paneer – 250 gms, cut into small cubes
Spinach leaves – 150 gms
Onion – 2 large onions, cut into thin slices
Ginger paste – 2 tbsp
Garlic paste – 2 tbsp
Tomato Paste – Half cup
Salt & Sugar to taste
- Heat water in a large vessel. Once the water comes to a boil, turn off the heat
- Blanch the Spinach leaves in the boiled water for five minutes and then rinse off with cool water.
- Make a paste of the spinach leaves in your mixer.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and fry the paneer cubes till they become light golden colored on all sides. While frying stir the paneer from time to time so that all sides are fried uniformly.
- Take out the paneer cubes and keep in a separate vessel to be used later.
- In the oil now add the sliced onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger & garlic paste and sauté for a while
- Now add the tomato paste and continue frying till the oil separates
- Turn down the heat and add the spinach paste and stir for some time
- Now add the fried paneer cubes and incorporate in the gravy
- Add salt and sugar to taste
Hope you will enjoy cooking this. The cooking method is pretty simple and the end product should surely please you and your guests. You can top this with some cream if you wish to, that’s one nice garnishing as well that you can opt for. If you cook this, let me know how you liked it in the comment section below. Happy cooking!